Pages

Saturday 25 January 2014

Catherine's Completed Sampler From The Micheál & Elizabeth Feller Collection Volume II


Inside the jacket of the second volume of The Micheál & Elizabeth Feller Collection are two sampler charts and the image you see above is a working of one of those samplers. It is just so beautiful and it is even more special because it was stitched by the person who was responsible in many ways for launching me on this journey with you. Catherine is French but came to live in Cambridge where I was then living and we got to know each other. I was so inspired by her fine stitching of samplers that I started to look out more examples for her in the UK - and the rest, as they say, is history. Catherine has long since moved back to France, but we see each other once a year or so - with the added bonus that I get to see her latest creations. So, I thought you might like to share this.

The chart for the sampler is graphed over 2, but as you might see, Catherine has worked it over 1 on linen that is 16 threads/cm - about 40 threads per inch. You can browse the The Micheál & Elizabeth Feller Collection Volume II by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment